Thursday, January 16, 2014

Books & new media: the sea change, a guest blog by Doug Wilhelm on the Thursday Afternoon #MINI

 Ok, #MINI fans, a real treat for you this week: a blog written by someone other than me. In this case, the guest blogger is my friend Doug Wilhelm, author of 13 middle-grade novels including The Revealers, the most-used work of fiction in middle-schools today. Doug and I have chatted often about the brave new world of publishing, and I think Doug's blog does a beautiful job--in a short space, this being the #MINI--outlining some of the challenges that the digital revolution presents to the author and publisher. I have included the first part; please click on the link to Doug's blog for the rest. If you have a middle-schooler you want to buy a book for, take advantage of the site to order a book or two. Without further ado, Doug Wilhem: Books & new media: the sea change.


Driving to my sister’s house on Saturday, to work on a Kickstarter video — we hope to win support for publishing a “bridge into reading” chapter book for second and third graders — I heard a TED talk on the radio, about young people putting their work out through the new media. The presenter said, “We don’t feel like we have to ask permission.”
   
And boy, is that different. I want to write today about how it’s different, and what this may mean for writers and readers of books. 

The first book I wrote, myself, was rejected 75 times. It never got published by anyone. Since then, like most people who do some sort of creative work professionally, I’ve had years and years of knocking on doors, working with agents, trying to get one project or another green-lighted, published, whatever. Sometimes I’ve succeeded, sometimes I haven’t. That’s pretty normal.

And now along comes this whole new world.

Click here for the rest of the blog.

Thanks again for your support, and don't forget to tune in to the next Saturday Evening Blog Post for my collaborative effort with the premier Vermont artist, Peter Huntoon, coming close to the end of this month. I have written a short story, Under the Cold January Sun, and Peter has painted a watercolor inspired by the story. Both the story and the painting can be viewed on my website and Peter's website as well. Have a great rest of the week, peter.