Thursday, April 24, 2014

Vermont in transition: early spring in the #greenmountainstate #MINI

The Thursday Afternoon #MINI post is back--and with a vengeance. Spring has sprung here in #vermont, although anyone caught outside today might not agree (blustery and cold.) It's the last Thursday of the month, and high time for a pictorial essay--and besides, I need to get the leaves out of the pool or face dire consequences.  Let's get after it:

 What else to get us started but a classic watercolor from my favorite artist, Peter Huntoon. And nothing says spring like a cloud of steam rising from a sugarhouse. Can't you just smell the carmelized sugar (I can, because my neighbor is boiling right now.)

You guessed it, another Peter Huntoon watercolor. But I couldn't resist it, because this is Vermont, and sometimes winter doesn't go away as quietly or quickly as we would like it to do.

The country road, the stereotypical feature of rural Vermont. When I see a picture like this, I just want to grab the dog leash and head out for a walk. The happens to be the Wheelerville Road, and I highly recommend you take a stroll on it if you are in the Mendon area.

Occasionally--ok, frequently--the weather doesn't cooperate, and a nap is the best option. It would be unthinkable to do a pictorial essay without a picture of my hiking buddy, Hermione Jean Granger Hogenkamp.

That's the spine of the Green Mountains you see in the background, and the floodwaters of the Otter Creek in front of that. I was taking the long way home (translation: I got lost) from a hike when I saw this vista, and like a good Vermonter, I just stopped in the middle of the road, rolled down my window, and snapped away.

A


And sometimes the weather gets so bad the only option is going south, in this case, to South Carolina, where I came upon this beauty guarding the water hazard where my ball landed. 

Ok, that's a wrap. I am including a few links: the first to Peter Huntoon's fabulous website. If you love Vermont or rural life in general, check out this website. You will be happy you did. Next, here's the link to The Intern, the serialized novel I am writing on #wattpad. My mother, my sister and my aunt can't be wrong, give it a look, and don't be deterred by Wattpad--easy to join and free.

Thanks again for your support, and feel free to share the link.