Thursday, February 5, 2015

Sex, Lies and #Hashtags: The Return of the #MINI

The #MINI returns--in the nick of time. Those of you who read The 7 Unbreakable Rules of #SocialMedia will know what I am talking about. Rule 7, Don't Be Inconsistent, says that I can't go long periods of time without posting. I was just about to break that rule, but the #MINI comes to the rescue. Whheewwww!

Today's #MINI will be--short, of course, as the guidelines of the #MINI are clear--and devoted to the current State of the Internet; hence the Sex, Lies and #Hashtags subtitle. In preparation for today's blog, I spent a lot of time perusing my favorite #socialmedia--actually, I was just doing that anyway, but let's say I was doing research, sounds way better. What does my research tell me? I have come to the conclusion that the Internet was invented for the sole purpose of promulgating self-published erotica, the mass distribution of photoshopped Kim Kardashian butt photos, and the privilege of watching cat videos in the privacy of your own home--or in line at the grocery store as was the case today.

I know, I know, there's more to the web than this--most people would not be wearing a single stitch of clothing if it weren't for on-line shopping, and nobody wants a world of nudists--but I just can't help thinking about where we would be without the internet. People conversing more? Staring out the window on the bus instead of checking facebook posts to see what your friends had for dinner last night? Dusting behind the cabinets? (When is the last time you did that?) Taking a walk on a nice day rather than checking Twitter to see if Myley Cyrus has made an ass of herself again?

#hashtags however, will likely remain the one true advance brought to us by the internet. In troubled times, we can all still believe in #hashtags. It's true. Love Rush Limbaugh but your Cable provider has put the kybosh on Fox News? Search #loveRushLimbaugh and see what you get. (ok, hypothetical situation, but there must be at least one person--in Arkansas or Texas or some place like that--that loves Rush Limbaugh.) Yes, #hasgtags are great, unless of course, people start overusing them--but there would never happen, would it? 


Okay, I want to venture on, but This Is The #MINI, and I must stop. (Queue clever moment for #shamelesspromotion.) If you are looking for something to read, my first book should be out Summer 2016; if you had a more immediate hankering to read, check out The Intern, the serialized novella I am writing on #wattpad (my mother says it's good.)

cheers, peter




Peter Hogenkamp is a physician and author living in Rutland, Vermont. Peter's writing credits include ABSOLUTION, the first book of The Jesuit thriller series; THE LAZARUS MANUSCRIPT, a stand-alone medical thriller; and The Intern, a serialized novel based loosely on Peter's internship, published bi-weekly on #Wattpad. Peter can be found on his Author Website as well as his personal blog, PeterHogenkampWrites, where he writes about most anything. Peter is the founder and editor of Prose&Cons; a frequent contributor and reviewer at ReadWave; the founder and moderator of groups on Facebook (The Library), Google+ (Fiction Writers Anonymous); and a Beta-reader at StoryShelter. Peter tweets--against the wishes of his wife and four children--at @phogenkampvt and @theprosecons. He can be reached at peter@peterhogenkamp.com or through his literary agent (Liz Kracht of Kimberely Cameron & Associates) at liz@kimberleycameron.com.