Hiking the Highlands of Tortola: An Essay mostly in pictures



Let me the set the stage for you: it's mid-July and my wife and I have just started a fabulous week at her aunt's villa on a hill high over Long Bay Beach, Tortola, British Virgin Islands, one of the nicest stretches of white sand you are going to find in the world. So, what to do to get our vacation started off on the right foot? Yup, you guessed it: slip on the hiking sandals and trek up and over the ridge of volcanic rock that runs lengthwise over the entire island. The obvious choice, right?

Might I also mention that there is where the store is, and our condo wasn't stocked with coffee. (Please don't ask what happens when there is no coffee.) So, off I went, as my wife settled into the lounge chair by the pool. (She didn't want to come, can you believe it?) 

Anyway, when I got home, drenched in sweat, hot as Cuba (my buddy Bill says that) and really, really thirsty (who hikes in dew points as high as these?) I decided to create this pictorial essay, because I am pretty sure my Muse has sunstroke.

 Bougainvillea, the iconic Caribbean vine. (Think these would grow in Vermont?)

Unfortunately, these Papayas were too high to reach (high-hanging fruit?)

I am not sure what this it, but it looks bad so I am not going to find out.

Did you know that 15 minutes can save you 15%?
The view from the top of the ridge, looking over Soper's Hole. (Not bad, eh?)

  This aloe is going to come in very handy for the massive sunburn I am getting.

Back at the beach for the sunset. All's well that end's well.

Cheers, p
:)



Peter Hogenkamp is a practicing physician and author living in Rutland, Vermont. Peter's writing credits include ABSOLUTION, the first book of The Jesuit thriller series; and THE LAZARUS MANUSCRIPT, a stand-alone medical thriller. Peter is currently writing THE INTERN, a novel loosely based on his medical internship, excerpts of which can be seen on Wattpad.  Peter can be found on his Author Website as well as his personal blog, PeterHogenkampWrites, where he writes about most anything. Peter is the founder and editor of Prose&Consthe literary blog for readers and writers written by authors, editors, agents, publishers and poets; a frequent contributor and reviewer at ReadWave; the founder and moderator of groups on Facebook (The Library), Google+ (Fiction Writers Anonymous); and the chief of two tribes on Triberr, The Big Thrill and Fiction Writers. Peter tweets--against the wishes of his wife and four children--at @phogenkampvt and @theprosecons. Peter can be reached at peter@peterhogenkamp.com or through his literary agent (Liz Kracht of Kimberely Cameron & Associates) at liz@kimberleycameron.com.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Father's Day Tribute to my Father

More than Twenty Years in the Making: The Genesis of The Intern

June is National Crime Reading Month